“Palmetto First is where I do all of my banking. I would recommend them to anyone!” — Jacqueline Kennedy-Myers, F&I Manager for Auddie Brown
Are Financial Resolutions a Good Idea for the New Year? Happy New Year! The champagne toasts have been made, the confetti has fallen, and 2017 is officially in the books. Whether last year was the best of your life or 12 months of continual challenges, 2018 offers a blank canvas and a fresh start. Maybe resolutions are your thing. Maybe they’re not. Whatever your feelings on the matter, changing habits simply because you hung a new calendar on the wall seems like a flimsy motivation at best. But whether you want to drop a few pounds or start saving for retirement, setting goals is always a good idea — no matter what time of year it is. To help you get started, here are a few points for your financial to-do list:
- MAKE A PLAN TO PAY DOWN DEBT. First, take an honest look at every account you’re paying (or should be paying) each month. It’s important to focus on progress, not perfection. With every debt you pay off, you free up money that can help you tackle another one. So, organize your debts from smallest to largest, work to pay off the smallest first, and then move to the next in line.
- AUTOMATE MONTHLY BILLS. There aren’t many things more frustrating that forgetting to make a payment and getting hit with a late fee. Thankfully, many companies and banks offer online payment options, so it’s easier than ever to schedule your payments in advance.
- BUILD AN EMERGENCY FUND. Setting aside money specifically for emergencies can help you navigate life’s little surprises. Financial experts recommend varying amounts for a “Justin-Case” fund, but setting aside $1,000 as quickly as possible is a fantastic goal.
- KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR CREDIT REPORT. In a world where the internet makes financial transactions more convenient than ever, it’s critical that you keep tabs on your personal credit report. Not sure where to start? Visit www.annualcreditreport.com to get a free copy of your credit report.
- INVEST FOR THE FUTURE. If your employer offers a 401(k) option, especially one with a matching contribution, maximizing that benefit is a strong move. Beyond that, many credit unions feature robust investment services that can help you build an investment portfolio and begin saving for retirement.
Annual Meeting 2018
The 65th Annual Meeting of the members of Palmetto First Federal Credit Union will be held at Lynches River County Park at 12:00pm on Saturday, March 10, 2018. Please join us for good food and fun. You will also have the opportunity to vote to elect our volunteer Board of Directors. There will be a $5 charge for non-members. Palmetto First is looking for passionate volunteers who understand the importance of the Credit Union to our members and the Florence County community. The Board of Directors is responsible for setting policies and helping guide the Credit Union into the future. If you are interested in serving on the Palmetto First Federal Credit Union Board of Directors, please submit your information and statement of interest either in person at a branch location or by mail, Attn: Nominating Committee. Note: to be considered for the board, you must have an active account and be a member in good standing. See Credit Union for a list of criteria.
Membership Appreciation Month
We our members February 14, 11am – 2pm To show how much we appreciate and love you, we are hosting a lunch from George’s Funnel Cakes at our Gregg Avenue branch for the first 100 members1 that show up! Join us every week in February for specials you’ll love! Feb. 5 – 9 Switch your checking account to us & receive a matching $252 deposit Feb. 12 – 16 Get $1003 when you move an auto loan to us Feb. 19 – 23 Refer a friend & you both get $25!4 1 Lunch is for only those who are members of Palmetto First FCU. See credit union for details. 2 Open a new Palmetto First checking account with a direct deposit and $25 will be deposited into the account within 90 days of opening. 3 To receive $100 the auto loan amount must be $8,000 minimum. 4 Referred member must open a checking with direct deposit or establish a loan of $5,000 minimum. $25 will be deposited into the referrer’s account and the referree’s account within 90 days of account opening. See credit union for details.
RESOLUTION #1: BUILD YOUR CREDIT
“Palmetto First has become part of my family. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a friendly atmosphere to build their credit and bank with confidence.” RESOLUTION #1: BUILD YOUR CREDIT – Kerri, Third Generation Member
Ask the expert how to build your credit!
The Board and Staff of Palmetto First Federal Credit Union, along with our members, would like to extend heartfelt sympathy to the friends and families of… Chalmers Leon McCormick …all valued members of your family and ours. We regret that our updated system no longer notifies us of a member’s passing. We appreciate your assistance in bringing the names of those who have passed to our attention.